The Institute for Studies in Industrial Development (ISID) is organizing a Six-day Workshop on Audio-Visual Media as a Tool in Research for Social Science Researchers during January 29 – February 03, 2018. The workshop is sponsored by the Northern Regional Centre, Indian Council of Social Science Research (NRC-ICSSR), New Delhi.
Print media is a format which most researchers and scholars use extensively to bring out their findings and raise issues. In recent years, Audio-Visual Media (AVM), and the technology needed for its production, is becoming increasingly accessible, both in terms of ease of use, as well as cost. Digital media is being used by government departments, corporate houses, non-governmental organisations and others. However, social scientists and researchers in academic institutions have yet not fully realized the potential of integrating audio-visuals in their work.
The focus of the workshop is to familiarise the participants with AVM tools and motivate researchers and academics to use this medium as a tool, to not only enhance the content but also reach a wider audience and have greater impact of their research. Practical hands-on training in production of audio-video material will also be emphasised. Broad elements of the programme are:
- understanding AVM -- mass media in India and its use in various fields like social sector, health and corporate sector;
- AVM as a tool in research -- providing visual insight, supplementing other data, confirming or refuting findings, collecting video-based data, subjectivity, authenticity and ethical issues;
- presentation and dissemination -- effective communication of research findings, presentation skills and the new technology, integrating audio-visual data into powerpoint presentations, the internet;
- AVM production techniques -- understanding the technology, basic camera equipment, editing software, streaming video; and
- hands-on production of AV output.
Young researchers/teachers in academic institutions, colleges and university departments who are primarily from the social sciences discipline and whose work requires field surveys are eligible to apply. All applications should be applied through respective departments/institution. The batch will consists of 25-30 participants and selection will be based on relevance of research areas on all India basis. Preference will be given to suitable SC/ST candidates applying with proper documentation. The selected scholars will be paid to and fro 2nd class railway fare from the place of study/work. For outstation participants there is provision for boarding and lodging at the Institute for the duration of the programme.
Those desirous of participating in the workshop may kindly send their brief CV along with a write-up of around 500 words on their research topic so as to reach the Programme Coordinator, preferably through email at firstname.lastname@example.org, before December 25, 2017. Further details and workshop updates please visit the Institute’s website at http://isid.org.in/avmprog.html
|AVM 2018 Flier
||Application Form in Word Format
Institute for Studies in Industrial Development
4 Institutional Area Phase II, Vasant Kunj
New Delhi - 110070 INDIA
Telephone: +91 11 2676 4601
Fax: +91 11 2612 2448